If you are into hitchhiking through the galaxy, there is one item you always need to have close to hand: your towel. But why not hitch through the galaxy in style? And have your own personalised towel? Never confuse your precious towel with that of an Altairian strag (non-hitchhiker); by getting a luxury towel you can always be sure to get that smooth feeling when you need it. It may set you back for your daily allotted 30 Altarian dollars, but it’s a very wise investment.
When traversing the galaxy, the towel is second in importance only to the babel fish (universal translator), and there are many useful things you can do with it. The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy lists the following practical examples:
- You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta
- You can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapours
- You can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon
- Use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth
- Wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat
- Wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-bogglingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can’t see it, it can’t see you – daft as a brush, but very, very ravenous)
- You can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal
- And of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.
” More importantly, a towel has immense psychological value. For some reason, if a strag discovers that a hitchhiker has his towel with him, he will automatically assume that he is also in possession of a toothbrush, face flannel, soap, tin of biscuits, flask, compass, map, ball of string, gnat spray, wet weather gear, space suit etc., etc. Furthermore, the strag will then happily lend the hitch hiker any of these or a dozen other items that the hitch hiker might accidentally have “lost.” What the strag will think is that any man who can hitch the length and breadth of the galaxy, rough it, slum it, struggle against terrible odds, win through, and still knows where his towel is, is clearly a man to be reckoned with.” – Douglas Adams, Hitchhikers guide to the Galaxy
Extra tip: If you indulge in a Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, wrapping your head with a cold and wet towel will definitely help with the after effects.
As you can see, the usefulness of a towel cannot be underestimated, so always bring the absolute best towel money can buy. Celebrate Towel Day with TowelsRus, on May 25th, by getting your own personalised towel of the highest quality! And the next time an alien ship passes by: don’t panic, extend your electronic thumb, and hitch a ride in style!